Long-term value for a solid basis
We consequently gear our activities towards our motto "Sharing Excellence". Our aim is to secure the company’s value creation in the long-term in order to establish a solid foundation for sustainable, profitable growth.
Our continued internationalization, operational excellence and reliable supplier management are key factors that allow us to successfully pursue this path. To secure our innovation capacity in all competence areas we continuously work on research and development. Simultaneously, we extend our global sales and service network to serve customer demand and achieve our growth targets.
A long history of quality management
The key to Jenoptik’s success lies in the quality of its products and solutions. What is essential to a good quality management system is a continuously and stringently monitoring of all processes and manufactured products. According to market requirements, the segments have often taken on additional sector-specific management systems emerging from their relations with customers and suppliers.
Find out more about our quality management processes.
Our products are often created in close collaboration with the customer. Alongside the need to innovate, this requires mutual trust, reliability and knowledge of target audience requirements. That is why successful, longstanding collaborations with key customers are an important factor of our success.
Efficient processes for operational excellence
We regularly scrutinize our processes to make them more efficient and to harmonize them: Purchasing is handled centrally and the supply chain is optimized. We also improve logistics and streamline production.
Our internal Go Lean program directs our production towards greater efficiency. Operational costs are reduced, production lead times are shortened, quality is improved and synergies are utilized through process streamlining.
The aim of the JOE program (Jenoptik One ERP) is to establish a uniform ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning) system. This company software, based on SAP, is standardized throughout the Group and is intended to make processes more transparent and deliver reliable data for speedy business relevant decisions.
Innovation for economic success
Our key strategic aim is to acquire, secure and expand our position as an innovation leader in the areas relevant to us. We see the following points as key to this:
- 426 R+D employees and therefore 11.7 percent of total staff help to make our clients more efficient and consequently increase their earnings capacity.
- Innovation projects occure in accordance with our core competencies and in direct cooperation with key customers to develop customized solutions.
- Our central innovation management controls strategical development plans.
- The further development of in-house resources and work with cooperation partners, research institutions and other university-level institutions.
- The Scientific Advisory Council is a committee of top-class experts available to Jenoptik which supports the Group in the monitoring and evaluation of long-term technology trends.
To further increase innovation power, the Jenoptik Innovation Award annualy is granted to our best development team. The winner of the Jenoptik Innovation Award 2016 was the toll project in the Mobility segment. Its toll monitoring pillar will enable Jenoptik to be a partner in the future for the truck toll charged on German federal highways.
Selected research cooperation arrangements and association memberships
- Friedrich-Schiller-University (FSU) Jena,
- Christian-Albrechts-University (CAU), Kiel,
- Ernst-Abbe-School Jena,
- Leibniz-Institute of Photonic Technology‘s (IPHT), Jena,
- Technische Universität Ilmenau,
- Technische Universität Kaiserslautern,
- Ferdinand-Braun-Institute, Leibniz-Institut für Höchstfrequenztechnik (FBH), Berlin,
- German Aerospace Center (DLR), Institute of Transportation Systems, Braunschweig,
- Fraunhofer Institute for Production Technology (IPT), Aachen, incl. Laboratory for Machine Tools and Production Engineering (WZL).
Treading new ground as systems partner
By more strongly focusing our organizational structure on the growth markets of the automotive, semiconductor equipment, aviation, traffic and medical technology industries, we benefit from the global megatrends of
- digital world, healthcare, mobility and efficiency, infrastructure, and security
This helps us to increase the reach of our products and solutions and opens up improved growth opportunities.
We see our strategic orientation as a global, integrated photonics group as offering advantages over our competitors, many of whom only operate in one market. With our broad technology platform, we serve a range of markets, are less heavily dependent on the cycles in individual sectors and can better compensate for fluctuations.
Jenoptik pursues a dual strategy for market penetration:
- Firstly, we market our products ourselves or with our distribution partners
- Secondly, Jenoptik acts as a system partner: Together with our customers, we develop system solutions tailored to the companies in question. With system partnerships like these, we strengthen our customer relations and enable product innovation
Globally standardized procurement
Our custom solutions and global business relationships mean that purchasing at Jenoptik needs to be organized around customer requirements. The technological demands are so exacting that Jenoptik is sometimes obliged to work with just a few suppliers.
Our aim is a standardized global procurement process. We want to guide and manage the entire route our products and solutions take, from the supplier to the end user. This allows us to leverage potential and boost operational excellence at group level. In the process, we focus on the following points:
- Proven partners are classified as preferred suppliers whom we involve in strategy and development projects at an early stage and help to develop within systematic supplier management
- Greater interlinking of purchasing structures under central control
- Group-wide material group and supplier strategy
- More sourcing in North America and Asia
Beyond this, our Code of Conduct for suppliers forms part of our General Terms and Conditions of Purchase and obliges suppliers to comply with legal and ethical standards.