The optics have asymmetric characteristics. To ensure accurate processing of these optics with ultra-precise lathes, special knowledge is required along the entire process chain. Jenoptik has the required expertise and sees free-form optics projects from the design stage through to system integration.
With our Slow Tool Servo technology, we can produce high-precision free-form optics with diameters ranging from 1 to 350 mm. We use a modified diamond turning procedure, which uses a controlled rotation axis as well as two linear axes. The part of the free-form optics that is not rotationally symmetrical is achieved by means of a dynamic movement of the tool toward the optical axis.
The process is ideal for diamond processing of polymers (PMMA, Zeonex, PC, PS) and metals (nickel-phosphor, aluminum, copper, brass). Depending on your particular application, we can produce the free-form optics in a wide range of shapes.
- Dimensional accuracy: Ultra-precise technology thanks to diamond tools
- Compact: Greater freedom allows space-saving, minimized components to be integrated
- Energy-efficient: The same or even improved optical performance despite the smaller number of optical surfaces
- Precise: Achieve roughness of less than 5 nm (Ra — arithmetic mean roughness) and shape deviation of less than 1 µm (peak to valley)
- Expert knowledge: Jenoptik has expertise along the entire process chain
Fields of Application
- Automotive industry: Head-up displays (HUDs)
- Lighting and energy: Innovative LED lighting optics
- Medical technology: Head mounted displays (HMDs), Alvarez elements for microscopy
- Sensor systems: Innovative measuring systems, free-form optics in camera systems
- Machine Vision: Geo distance measurement