New challenges for PIC testing
Photonic integrated circuits (PICs) are the chips of the future.
Speed up the world
UFO Probe® Technology keeps you one step ahead
Built-in solution for high-volume production
New Jenoptik UFO Probe® Vertical
The consistent further development of the patented technology expands the possibilities of optical coupling and, with the new UFO Probe® Vertical version, enables parallel functional tests of optical as well as electrical components on chips using vertical needle technology from established test card manufacturers. This allows the user to couple up to 32 optical channels in parallel as standard - or more if required - without the need for active alignment.
The UFO Probe® Vertical:
- Covers the entire wavelength range from 1260 to 1625 nanometres used in the telecommunications and data communications sector
- Provides polarization preservation for individual or all optical channels
- Contacting of up to 6000 bond pads/ of bondpads with dimensions down to 35 microns (depending on the needle type, even more)
- Also possible solder bumps and copper pillars
- Smallest addressable pitch of the electrical contacts in the range of 40 to 80 micro
- Lower and more uniform contact resistance in the range of 0.2 to 1.0 ohms (depending on the probe type)
UFO Probe® Vertical
All benefits of the Probe Card Technology on one view
The PIC ecosystem can be expanded thanks to an efficient test method for high-throughput serial production; and the test time is reduced thanks to parallel qualification of multiple chips.
The only commercial test solution for high-volume production that can run on standard test equipment.
Scrap is identified at an early stage of production for improved yield: All testing of all PICs can be carried out on a wafer.
Plug and Play
It is designed to operate in standard IC testers and automated testers. Low outlay and commissioning costs.
Fault parts are identified early on for increased yield and optimized production flow.
The pitch and number of optical I/O channels can be configured to suit you.
Enabling optical data communication
Probe card applications now and in the future
Easy integration into existing test infrastructure
Combination of novel optical concept and proven needle technology
- Monolithic optical module
- Alignment-insensitive optical coupling for vertically emitting PICs
- Simultaneous optical and electrical scanning
- Optical concept compensates prober alignment tolerances
- Use of proven needle technology (partnership with test card manufacturers)
- Standard interface to wafer prober can be implemented
Technical details of the UFO Probe® optoelectronic card
|Specifications||Current generation||Future generations|
Component to be tested
Electronic and photonic integrated circuit (EPIC); optical transceivers for data transmission and telecommunications applications
EPIC for transceivers, photodiodes,
Electric needle technology
Cantilever and Vertical
Optical coupling principle DUT
Number of optical inputs/outputs (OI/OO)
Up to 32 or more
127 μm, 250 μm, flexible for >250 μm
Layout configuration of OI/OO arrays
Linear arrangement with same direction of inputs/outputs
Configurable to own needs
0° and 11.6° standard, up to 20° customized
0° - 20°
1,310 nm and 1,550 nm
VISto NIR (U-band)
Measurement of insertion loss
Repeatability: ~ 0.3 – 0.5 dB
Repeatability target: 0.1 dB
Up to 110 GHz, depending on needle technology
European card format
European card format,
Detailed Product Information
Awarded! Thuringia Innovation Award 2022 for UFO Probe® card
Jenoptik was awarded the Thuringia Innovation Award 2022 in the "Industry & Materials" category on November 30, 2022 in Weimar, Thuringia for its novel opto-electronic probe card for testing PIC wafers. Not quite 100 applications were received by STIFT Thüringen this year. Jenoptik convinced the expert jury with its well-thought-out approach to solving the increasing demand for photonic technologies in the electronics and semiconductor industry.